Lutheran World Federation
The Slovak Zion Synod is a part of the Lutheran World Federation through the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The LWF unites other church bodies like the ELCA into one global partnership.
The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF now has 143 member churches in 79 countries all over the world representing over 70 million Christians.
The LWF strives to put its faith into action within and beyond the communion. This witness takes a variety of forms: communications, ecumenical and interfaith relations, capacity building, advocacy, humanitarian assistance, theology, mission, development and many others…
The LWF believes in the Bible, the three Ecumenical Creeds and the confessions of the Lutheran Church form the LWF’s doctrinal basis.
LWF member churches confess the triune God, agree in the proclamation of the Word of God, and are united in pulpit and altar fellowship. The LWF confesses one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church and is resolved to serve Christian unity throughout the world.
The LWF is much more than a mere network of churches sharing a confessional foundation. The LWF understands itself to be a communion: a worldwide community of churches joined in inclusive fellowship.
The LWF Council has named four priorities for the work of the LWF:
- Strengthening Lutheran identity as a communion of churches in mission
- Deepening ecumenical commitments and fostering interfaith relations
- Bearing witness in church and society to God’s healing, reconciliation and justice
- Enhancing communication, mutual accountability and sharing
Recent Synod News
- A Pentecost Message from Bishop Kucharek May 28, 2020
- Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed! Alleluia! April 12, 2020
- A Message for Holy Week from the Bishop April 4, 2020
- A Spiritual Message for the Season from Bishop Kucharek March 28, 2020
- Our COVID-19 Updates March 14, 2020
- Judges 6:36-40Thomas, Apostle36Then Gideon said to God, "In order to see whether you will deliver Israel by my hand, as you have said, 37I am going to lay a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know […]